Tuesday, April 5

These are friends from homelands. Kevin, the dude in the vaguely discernible Usher shirt, works at the Northwest Georgia Trade and Convention Center. The Trade Center is a venue used by most of the local schools for proms, graduations, and sports tournaments. I've also attended both Bob Dylan and Charlie Daniel's concerts here.
So, the other day Kevin walked in to a crowded room and announced there'd been a breast-feeding convention at the Trade Center that day ... many questions followed. When I told Caroline later that night, she launched into a full interrogation. She has a habit of asking several questions in a row without allowing time for even the first to be answered. This time, I saw it coming. More often I'm quickly trying to answer her first couple of questions before realizing what's happening, then stopping to laugh. "Who goes to a breast-feeding convention? What types of products are being targeted to breast-feeders and who is buying them? How do you get invited to a convention? Are there lectures on how or why to breast-feed? Are a bunch of people just sitting around breast-feeding all day? What's the difference between watching and lurking?"
Kevin did mention that he'd seen a lot of "titties" that day, then reconsidering his terminology, amended, "I mean, milking titties." All particples aside, milking titties? My, my, my...

My brother, Tad, and I once wrote a show for a kid's puppetry arts camp, about a convention center mix-up. The all's-well-that-ends-well narrative was our solution to incorporating into a cohesive story the array of characters that'd been created during the earlier part of the two-week project: there were alien-dinosaurs, monkeys, a mad professor, a royal family, the sun, and the moon among them. So often when miscommunications arise, a la a breast-feeding and motorcyle convention/Charlie Daniel's double-booking...hilarity is prone to ensue. I'm just thinking aloud here.
There was also an opera camp that summer and I can recall being both bewildered and thoroughly amused as I peeked over the Art Center reception desk to see the cast arrive on performance day, clearly reviving the previous year's halloween costumes ... spider-man, a ninja, and a bride are the few I remember now. But that kind of strange seems par for opera.