What a beautiful production! Kudos to Danny Boyle for having the thoughtfulness to say so in his acceptance speech (and kudos to Danny Boyle for being an awesome director)! This year's Oscars were the most enjoyable that I ever remember seeing. And, to tell you the truth, I would not have guessed that Hugh Jackman would be such an incredible host! I just didn't realize what a talented performer he is. I LOVED the opening. Hilarious.
Did you catch just before the show started when the production director said that old Busby Berkeley productions from the 30s were his inspiration, among other things, for this year's show? That's what this video is, one of those giant numbers from way back when. It's a little wacky, so be warned.
My favorite moment was definitely when Kate Winslet asked her dad to "whistle or something 'cause then I'll know where you are." She's such a sweetheart. I was surprised to learn that this was her first win.*
(p.s. watch Anne Hathaway's reaction: priceless.).
Best Dress: I think my favorite dress would have to be Marissa Tomei's. It looks like Frank Gehry built it or at least got off on it.
Best Jewelry: I'll have to go with Angelina Jolie on this one. She must have traveled to the Emerald City on her most recent baby collecting trip. Seriously, those earrings are boss.
I scored a modest 15 out of 24 on my predictions. Naturally, my most confident guesses were in the areas of Art Direction, Cinematography, and Costuming and I'm pleased to announce that I nailed them all. I feel that they were all appropriately awarded. All the nominated films had beautiful, even breathtaking art direction. However, Donald Burt and Victor Zolfo made the challenges of traveling across the world and through the course of a century in Benjamin Button feel effortless. Anthony Mantel's camera work keeps your heart moving in pace with the Slumdogs of Mubai. With his eye behind the camera, the stunning shapes and colors of India come to life in the unusual modern fairytale. And don't get me started on the costumes from The Duchess. I mean, it's only about a woman known for her mad sartorial skills. There's a moment when Ralph Fienes character mentions women's fashion to her in a way that is a little trivializing and she defends style as one of the few means of self-expression women had. A fact that might still have an element of truth today when some small and scared fractions of the world still feel that women should be seen more and heard less.
*Can we take a quick moment just to have a collective "wtf?" for Meryl Streep. At this point, what does that woman have to do to get one of those naked little men statues? How can she get better?