Tuesday, June 9

movies worth seeing

Movies Worth Seeing = true to their name and reputation, this little video store is just around the corner in the Virgina Highlands. Thought I'd give them a plug since I have yet to leave disappointed. Or come back disappointed. Or how ever you want to think of it.

Getting on with it, these are last 6 movies I've seen. As it happened, they sort of progressed from world's most depressing movie to world's most cheerful movie. Take a look.



Mean Creek: Egads. 5 kids. Well, 6. Well, if nothing else...it was a beautiful day, right? I'll leave you to watch this one. Be warned. It's a really good movie. You ought to have a go at it, but know that you're not gonna be rolling in the floor laughing (rofl, rofl). Except maybe for this one line...
Sam: What do you think's going to happen, Marty? Superman's gonna fly on Earth and turn back time?
Marty: No, I don't think Superman's going to turn back time.
... it's more amusing in context. Of course.



Wendy and Lucy: Homelessness and puppy dog eyes. Painful.



The Lives of Others: Gorgeous, top to bottom. Writing, cinematography, art direction, the acting, the score. Ugh. So good.



Little Ashes: Well, what do you expect when you're a revolutionary writer in love with a repressed, eccentric painter. It will certainly be beautiful, but, uh, pretty much doomed otherwise. Hey, no one said being avant-garde in pre-civil war Spain was going to be easy. But, when is it ever?



Let the Right One In: Pfff. Sweden's version of Twilight. Kidding. Best Vampire Movie Ever. Hella good. And the voice-overs add a serendipitous touch of awesome. (the trailer make it look way scarier than it actually is, btw. it's actually a bit sweet, and more weird than scary-scary.)



Happy-Go-Lucky: Oh, what a relief. After all that... This movie is a total joy. Let's see, you know how Amelie is really darling and wonderful? Well, this is like that and maybe better. I'm telling you, pop it in when rain clouds come round and the sun will be shining again in no time. (Trust.) And, sure, I had expected as much from seeing the trailer, but I just didn't expect the fullness. The central character, Poppy, explores a range of emotions and themes as she bumps and bounces through life ever-so optimistically. You'll love her. The writing and cinematography are strong. You'll laugh, you'll feel, you'll change a little. It's a good thing.


So, that's what I've been watching. What have you been watching? Anything good? Anything terrible?