Wednesday, May 19

nostalgie de la boue

Nostalgie de la boue is a phrase I heard very recently, literally meaning 'a desire to return to the mud', but describing that faux povre aesthetic I know so well.

The context was a story about donations to a 12-step program of fancy soaps and things that recovered men could take home to their respective wives and girlfriends as gifts. However, items that followed the school de la boue were, unfortunately, eliminated as their appeal may be lost on many.



It's true though. This is a fancy box of soap. People will pay 20 Euros for this box of soap. I know it's not the box they want. Clemetines at your local Kroger will come in a nearly identical box to this one. Add some twine and a bit of recycled brown paper and your total packaging cost comes to about 7 cents. Your own box of fancy mud soaps can be purchased at Toast U.K., one of my favorite purveyors of primitive romanticism, or romantic primitivism, or what have you.

Speaking of things primitive, through this week has flown a stream of coincidences. And, in fact, just this morning I was introduced to an alternate universe. Truly, an actual landmark of this realm can be explored at a place no more than 40 yards from where I now sit. I saw a man have a heart attack in traffic ysterday. That's not a coincidence, it's only a tragedy. This has been a strange week though. Now getting back to my original tangent...I was watching the film Good Dick yesterday and The Musuem of Jurrasic Technology is mentioned and that's the second time in recent weeks this organization has come into my periphery. (Jason Ritter has a bad case of Beiber-face, btw. No value judgement, just an observance.)

I very much want to tell you about Kymaerica, but I need to do some more research. You see, not all the Kymaerica travel volumes have been published in the linear world. Only numbers 4 & 6 are currently available. This is not a joke.